What about zoning?

Zoning sets up, within a defined area, the types of buildings and what they will be used for. For example, a residential area may be zoned R22, which means that the lots can contain one single-family home and the lots are a minimum of 22,500 square feet.

Zoning is regulated based on maps approved by the City Council. A variance may be obtained in some cases if a property owner wants to build something not allowed in the property's zone.

Some questions and approvals for zoning can be issued over-the-counter by the same staff that reviews your building plans. Others need reviews by specialty zoning or planning staff.

There are also special zones within the city such as planned districts. The city's Zoning Department can answer questions about these areas. To request information, call 770-461-6029 and ask for Zoning Department.

Show All Answers

1. Am I within the city limits?
2. Build to the plans?
3. Can I do the work myself or do I have to hire a contractor?
4. How long does it take to get a permit?
5. How many sets of plans do I need?
6. Should you have any other questions?
7. What about approval or permits?
8. What about a contractor?
9. What about inspections?
10. What about zoning?
11. What are permits and why do I need one?
12. What if I don’t get a permit?
13. What if I have a permit, but never called for an inspection?
14. When do I need a construction permit?
15. When do I need a permit?
16. Where do I get a permit?
17. Who draws up the plans?
18. Who should obtain the permit?
19. Workers' compensation?