The Fayetteville Police Department offers an exciting and rewarding non-paid internship program designed to provide college and graduate students the opportunity to gain practical experience in the criminal justice field and also introduces students to the opportunities and disciplines within law enforcement.
Various placements are available based on candidates' interests, skills, and the needs of the department. Interns will be exposed to effective problem solving and partnership-building skills, as well as gaining a better understanding of the day-to-day operation of the police department.
The Fayetteville Police Department values all its interns and strives to create a work atmosphere that facilitates growth and learning. We value integrity and are committed to enhancing our organization and community through hard work and respect for others. We are very excited about the Internship Program and look forward to meeting and placing new inters in positions throughout the department.
Qualifications & Expectations
Interns must be undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled in a college or university at least 18 years old. Candidates will be required to successfully complete an oral interview and background investigation. The candidate’s criminal history, arrests, and past drug use will be reviewed as part of the qualification process.
Interns are expected to:
- Be on time for assignments and provide appropriate notice to the supervisor when absences are anticipated
- Have reliable transportation to and from work
- Attend all necessary training and meetings
- Possess strong oral and written communications skills
- Contribute to a positive work environment.
All candidates must complete an internship application (PDF) and submit a letter of interest specifying the following:
- Why have you selected the Fayetteville Police Department as a potential agency with which to intern?
- Areas of interest
- Overall career goals
Candidates will be required to submit:
- A letter from your college or university stating how long your internship will be, what duties you are to fulfill while working with our department and any other pertinent conditions
- Copy of unofficial transcript
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Copy of High School Diploma
Any information obtained during the internship is of a confidential nature and may not be disseminated to other persons outside of the department.